Facts You Didn’t Know About “Pitch Perfect”
1. “Cups” was never supposed to be in the film.
Anna Kendrick learned about the song through Reddit, and told Collider, “Originally that scene was going to be like ‘I’m a Little Tea Cup’ or something. It was supposed to be weird and funny and the second that they saw me do that, they were like, ‘OK. That’s your audition song.’”
2. A shower scene between Rebel Wilson and Adam DeVine got cut from the film.
DeVine told Vulture that the two “improv-ed a lot of the scenes with each other. Some we made, some got cut — a lot of the really steamy stuff.”
3. Adam DeVine’s girlfriend, Kelley Jakle, is a professional a capella singer.
She plays Jessica in the film, and she was a contestant on the competition series The Sing Off.
4. “No Diggity” was never in the script.
In fact, many of the original songs didn’t make the cut.
5. Categories on the riff-off wheel included, Ugly Lead Singers, Songs Glee Ruined, and Overplayed Black Eyed Peas Songs.
The complete list includes: Ladies of the ’80s, Songs About Sex, Black Michael Jackson, White Michael Jackson, Christian Rock, Hair Bands, TV Theme Songs, Reggae Time, Stadium Rock, The Judd’s, Famous Duets, Puppet Songs, Party Rock Anthems.
6. Adam DeVine accidentally pegged a cameraman in the face with a burrito while shooting the gas station scene.
“Yeah, it was when I was supposed to throw a burrito at Rebel, and he said to aim for him, thinking I wouldn’t hit him, and I pegged him right in the face,” DeVine told Vulture.
8. During the hot tub scene in the Treble House, a porno is playing on the TV in the background.
Producer and actress Elizabeth Banks created the very strange faux porno for the scene.
9. Say Anything was the original movie Anna Kendrick and Skylar Astin were supposed to watch, not The Breakfast Club.
10. The cast participated in a month-long singing/dancing boot camp.
The producers brought down the cast to Baton Rouge a month before filming so they could learn every dance move and song perfectly.
11. Ester Dean, who performs “S&M,” actually wrote the song for Rihanna as well.
12. The riff-off scene originally had 17 songs instead of eight.
Screenwriter Kay Cannon soon realized that that many songs would never fit in the film’s budget.
13. The scene was also shot at 3 a.m. in an old, empty outdoor pool.
The film was shot during early winter, and Skylar Astin told MovieViral, “There were no places to keep cast chairs or warmers things so we bonded a lot that night.”
14. Amy Poehler and Kristen Wiig were considered for Elizabeth Banks’ role.
15. While Becca is at the college fair, students are playing Quidditch in the background.
You can even hear one player shout, “Pass the Quaffle! I’m open!”
16. The screenwriter actually asked Rebel to audition for the film through Facebook.
17. Aubrey’s vomit is a nasty concoction of pineapple juice, tomato juice, and chicken noodle soup that apparently smelled like cheese.
18. “Vader” means “father” in Dutch, not German.
“Vater” means “father” in German.
19. “Fat Amy” is based off of a nickname Amy Poehler used on herself while pregnant.
20. Every cast member had to successfully sing a song for their audition.
Adam DeVine chose the Family Matters theme song, while Rebel Wilson went for Lady Gaga’s “Edge of Glory.”